Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Cherished

The first thing that came to mind when I read today's word "Cherished" was my parents. They are 80 and 72 and I feel so fortunate to still have them in my life. I cherish every holiday and birthday that I get to spend with them. So many people my age have lost a parent or both and I can't imagine the feeling that must be  - to be an orphan of sorts.

I know that I am cherished by my parents. Even when I didn't do as well in college as I could have, even when I've given them disappointing news, I never once felt not cherished by them. Their love is unconditional and I don't know what I would do without them. I have to be careful what I say to them these days, I try not to mention things that need fixing at my house or with my car because my father, still wanting to take care of his oldest daughter, will try to find a solution. I don't want him working that hard. I want him to stay safe and sound and take it easy so he'll be around as long as possible. Forever would be nice.

My parents love for me reflects my heavenly father's love for me. Unconditional, always there for me to run home to. I am embarrassed to say though that I take that love for granted. I don't cherish God's presence in my life like I cherish the presence of my parents. I am working on that. I try to concentrate on his love for me and to rely on that love for me. I try to remember that even when I don't do my best or I disappoint him, I am still cherished in God's eyes. What a wonderful thing it is to have three parents who love me like that.

Comments

  1. You're very blessed to have been cherished by your parents. Very blessed. And blessed that their love leads you to the Father's. It makes sense that their love is sometimes clearer to you than His, but theirs is, after all, merely the reflection in the mirror of the true thing. I suppose you're learning that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. finding you from five minute friday...

    beautiful thoughts and so lucky are you to have such wonderful parents. i feel this way, too. i think when you reach that age where you realize your parents are humans afterall, you cherish them perhaps a bit more. or maybe in a different way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...