Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Share




Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has hundreds of writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Share.

I'm going to share something with you that I have never shared before - happiness scares me. I often catch myself squelching feelings of happiness. I don't know why - it's like if I admit that I'm happy, a bully will come along and take it away.

Why is it that not liking something is easier than liking something? It's like being happy isn't cool. We get in this mode where complaining is normal instead of looking on the bright side of things.

Nine to five jobs can be a grind. But when I step back and look at my job, without thinking about having to get up early to get there, I kind of like it. I waited several years (7 to be exact) for the person I was hired to replace upon her retirement actually left and now that I am getting to do the job I was hired to do, I really like how I spend my time at my place of employment. I don't know why but I catch myself stopping that feeling of happiness, like it will be taken away if I admit that it exists.

Where this "can't be happy" trap really gets me is when I think about being single. I recently had a business lunch where, upon hearing that I wasn't married and didn't have kids, I was categorized as "footloose and fancy free, able to travel and do whatever." If I had agreed with the business associate, would I have been a terrible person? If I had said that yes, my divorce allowed me some freedoms and opportunities that I may not have realized if I was still married make me break some commandment? And if I shared that there is a part of me that sees a benefit to not being married to X, would that make me an awful person?

To share is a tricky thing. There can be relief in the revealing of one's true feelings but sharing comes with a cost, whether the bill comes from your peers or yourself, there can be a price to pay for honesty. The trick is whether you are willing to own up to your feelings or keep it safe and do what's expected. I am still trying to figure that one out.

Comments

  1. I think to own up to your feelings is a risk that is best taken with those people that you know will respect your feeling. I think it is easier to be honest with others that you know that you can trust. I am stopping by from Five Minute Friday, and I have really enjoyed reading this thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some things have to come as a s a cost so we really appreciate the value xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...