Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: First


Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is First.

This is the first photo I took of Notre Dame, shortly after arriving by train in Paris. Standing on that bridge with its legendary locks, I felt hope arise in me for the first time in a very long time. There in a city that I had dreamed off traveling to, I felt amazed at how lucky I was to be there - to be seeing this wonderful place for the first time.

Firsts can be scary things. I remember the first time I wrote a Five Minute Friday post and wondered if I would receive any responses. To this day, I wonder about that for every post I write. That is why I often take big chunks of time off from writing here. I let the dark thoughts win and wonder if it is worth it. Even five minutes seems like a risk.

But after taking off this chunk of time, from Thanksgiving until today, I know that my first love is writing. I had an imaginary husband and told tales of our life together almost as soon as I could talk. Then I wrote tales about things like boys made of peanut butter. I even wrote probably some of the first ever fan fiction when I wrote scripts for The Big Valley. I've never been a big journal keeper but in my mind, I am constantly telling stories. And I want to put those stories down here in cyberspace. I hope to make people laugh, I hope to teach them things, and I hope to let people know that they aren't the first to experience the pain and excitement that a big life change can bring. I want to be the first person to perhaps put hope back into a person's life.

I hope in doing this, getting back to this space and putting my stories on this virtual paper, that every time I type, it will be as exciting as the first time I found my writing voice. I hope that it brings into my life more of that hope that I felt on that bridge in Paris, taking in the wonder of Notre Dame for the first time. And most importantly, I hope that I put God first in everything I do.

Comments

  1. A lovely post! And, yes! God first in everything. That is the key! Have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful 2016.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...