Skip to main content

31 Days: Afraid


On Sunday, I was in Niagara Falls taking a hike with a fellow conference attendee. We set out on what we thought was an easy trail that began at the top of this photo. But when we chose to take the lower trail, things got a little challenging. The photo above was taken from the level we ended the trail on. I don't think it completely conveys just how far it looked like we had traveled down that hill.

I was so afraid on that hike. Afraid we wouldn't ever find a place to return to the level we had started at before we started our descent on the trail. Afraid that I would take a step and loose my footing and have to be rescued off the side of that hill. Afraid that the trail would never end. At one point I suggested we go back but not long after I made that suggested, we finally saw some other people and we felt like we were saved.

I prayed almost constantly on that hike. And it wasn't until I arrived safely and thanked God about a jillion times that I realized that in those moments when I was afraid, I had the opportunity to put my trust in God. What a gift that was.

Even when all I saw when I looked up was this


I felt so blessed that I had that faith in God to rescue me. And much like the water rushing over Niagara Falls, I felt a flood of emotion as I realized that we were at the end of the trail. And that we were ok. And that God is so very good.

Even when the trail looks like this


and we don't see how we will survive, God always has something amazing for us at the end.



Comments

  1. We do lots of hiking and I can relate very well to the fear and anxiety that can creep in when we feel we're physically over our heads. So happy you persevered to the beauty at the end! Visiting from the link-up today. At the moment I'm # 58 on the list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...