Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Better



I thought it was pretty ironic that this week's word was better when that was a word I thought might be my word of the year and that I wanted it to be applied to being better about blogging then I don't post in Five Minute Friday until Saturday. It was just like every other aim I had for 2019 that here on January 12 I have let go by the wayside. When you can't remember how to log into your blog and almost have to ask Google to help, you know it has been a long time since you have blogged.

But then I decided to let myself off the hook because yesterday was a busy, productive day for me. I worked at my second job all morning, then went to a meeting at my second job. I had to run to the grocery store to get the seventh layer of my seven-layer dip, cheese, because I forgot to get it when I purchased the other ingredients, then go home and make that dip. Finally I delivered my dip to the fun retirement party I went to last night where the above cake was a prominent feature on the kitchen island full of amazing food shared by even more amazing people, some of which I haven't seen in ages.

As I beat myself up about failing at yet another resolution I thought to myself, but isn't being out and about living so much better than writing about how you want to be out and about. How much better off am I than I was when I first started this blog. And just because I didn't post this until Saturday at 2:41pm instead of somewhere in the previous day on the calendar, that doesn't mean that it won't be a good post.

I am still searching for a word for 2019. I have made my birthday next month as my new goal to find it, my own new year so to speak. But no matter what it is, I am still going to concentrate on what is better today than it was the previous day and know that the days ahead will be better still.


Comments

  1. Have you read "One Perfect Word: One Word Can Make All the Difference" by Debbie Macomber? I have read it at least twice and it really helps. I haven't settled on my word for sure yet, but it might be "finish". Please don't be hard on yourself for not writing the FMF post until Saturday, as long as you do it before Thursday evening so you can still link it, you're doing fine. Mine is often "late". Sometimes the word just needs to marinate a while. Thanks for sharing, it is good to know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...