Skip to main content

Starting The Year Off Right

Happy New Year everyone! I have a good feeling about 2013!

I have a tendency to think I'm not worth the trouble when it comes to cooking nice meals for myself. There's also the element of cooking for one that seems to make good meals less appealing. I decided to change that and celebrate New Year's Eve with a good meal. I had some shrimp in the freezer so I set out to find a recipe that called for shrimp and linguine. I found one on Martha Stewart's website that was for one person. Perfect! I started my meal with some dill harvati and crackers and ended it with some chocolate bread pudding. My recipe for bread pudding is perfect for one person - it makes two individual cups and the second one saves for another day very easily. I've also tripled the recipe to feed six.

I wanted to share the recipes with you all and I thought photos would be nice to go with them. Please excuse the amateur quality of the photos - I'm still getting the hang of this blog thing.

Here is the brand of dill harvati I had. I love this cheese, it is so buttery with just the right hint of dill.






The Linguine with Shrimp and White Wine was wonderful! It was so simple that I could make it on a weeknight and I think the pasta would be good without the shrimp.






Ingredients
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 ounces linguine (about a 1/2-inch-wide handful)
  • 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Red-pepper flakes
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, melt half the butter over medium. Add garlic and pinch of red-pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Raise heat to medium-high; add wine. Cook until reduced by 1/3, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper; cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; swirl in lemon juice and remaining butter. Add pasta and toss to combine. Serve topped with parsley.
     

    If you'd like to see the original recipe, it can be found at http://www.marthastewart.com/312760/linguine-with-shrimp-and-white-wine


     
The chocolate bread pudding recipe is one a friend made for me years ago. The recipe came out of Cooking Light. Here is a link to the recipe online, where the photo is much better than the one below. It is does taste better than it photographs. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-chunk-bread-puddings-10000000421669/



Here's the recipe.

Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding

Serves 2

1 3/4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed Hawaiian sweet bread
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp. Kahlua
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg, beaten
1 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
Whipped cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until toasted.

Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through egg) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes up to 4 hours.

Divide 1/2 mixture between two 6 oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray, sprinkle evenly with 1/2 of chocolate. Divide remaining mixture; top with remaining chocolate.

Place cups in 8-in. square baking pan; add 1-inch of hot water. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.



So there you have it - my wonderful New Year's Eve meal. I typically spend the evening with a group of friends but we didn't gather together this year. Spoiling myself with an awesome meal was just what I needed to ring in the new year on my own. It was a great way to start off 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha