Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Encouragement



Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has hundreds of writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://lisajobaker.com/. This week's word is Encouragement. 


What if everything we spoke was words of encouragement to each other? When talking about people, what if we only sang their praises instead of pointing out their faults and misfortunes. I've thought about this a lot lately because recently I've been the victim of the opposite. Something said in confidence to a friend turned into information used as currency to gain favor or "cool points" with others. This was hurtful but it also served as a mirror, a reflection on how I speak about others. It was a reminder that I should watch my tongue and only speak encouraging words about people. Or better yet, quit talking about people.

I don't know why we relish the thought of tearing each other down. Why do we choose to gossip about people instead of focusing on the positive? We should all be on the same side, building each other up and encouraging others to see the good in themselves and those around them.

I'm going to try to do better at encouragement. I'm hoping that my actions are contagious and that words become a salve used to heal and not a weapon used to wound.

Comments

  1. I have often thought about this myself. And I am guilty of it as well. We all are! But we, women, seem to be hardest on each other. I am going to join you in trying to be more encouraging to others. But I also would like to become more gracious of accepting encouragement. Because I think I am one of those who can do it ALL ALONE! Thank you for encouraging me today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. We are hard on each other. Thanks for joining me and I'm so glad this post was encouraging to you!

      Delete
  2. so true eh? How we can tear each other down so easily? Let's build each other up as God calls us to. :)

    Stopping in from FMF. :)

    Annette @ A Net In Time (http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog.html)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha