Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Table



Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Table.

This was the table at my parents' house yesterday. A spread of the foods that say holiday to us. The four of us gathered around the table and after one of my mother's beautiful prayers, we enjoyed a meal together. Me and my three favorite people on the planet.

This table probably wouldn't measure up on Pinterest. There was no fancy centerpiece made out of things you'd  never imagined could be used for a centerpiece.There was nothing made with exotic ingredients. The cranberry sauce came straight from the can. But there was the most important thing around that table - love. Pure, unconditional love. The love that I haven't earned, the love I don't deserve. It was at that table that I felt truly, absolutely myself.

We sat around this table until we couldn't move from that table. Every serving piece went around the table twice. We wanted to take in as much of the spread as we could. To stay around that table to savor the moments together.

It doesn't go unappreciated that I am so very lucky to have been around that table with my parents. At 53, I am one of the few people I know that still have both my parents. As I attended a funeral for a friend's sister this week, I thanked God again and again for the chance to be a whole family for yet another holiday. To gather around this table in my childhood home. To feel that pure, unconditional love yet again. It was a day that will live in my memory.

Comments

  1. Visiting from FMF. I am so glad that you are able to share the holiday with your family. This was my first Thanksgiving without my Mom and my second without my Dad. We were able to have my mom up last Thanksgiving and shared the holidays with her, my sister and my in-laws. This year it was just us and my sister and her husband. It just felt like another dinner...and I miss having my mom to bring my other siblings (a brother and sister) to the table (they are not close to me or my sister). I wrote my FMF about the dining room table I got from my parent's house, which is a little bit of that feeling of my childhood home that I can hold on to. I hope you can have many more holidays with your whole family around the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the table is absolutely beautiful! And sitting around the table (digesting) and chatting after such a wonderful meal is one of the best things on this earth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Should

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Should.

I am constantly looking for signs, my own personal burning bush to show me what I should be doing and this week's prompt is my signal that I need to get back to writing my blog. That I should be writing.

I've thought a lot about this word since seeing this video of Oprah and Tony Robbins.  In it he says we should all over ourselves and that if we want to see change in our lives we should change should to must. That is when we actually do the things, when we change that one word.

I should have done laundry today.

I should have pulled weeds.

I should have posted this on Friday instead of Saturday.

I should pray more.

I should trust God.

What would happen if I changed those shoulds into action. Maybe not as strong as must, because laundry and weeds aren't life changing. But if instea…

31 Days To Change

I started this blog four years ago with the intent of helping people find their way through the same situation I was in - a divorce they weren’t expecting and did not want. After awhile, I didn’t feel like I was helping, just dragging people down with me. I took long breaks from posting then I would start back up again, only to take another long break. The whole time I felt like I was missing out on my calling, to help people with my writing.
I have struggled with just how to do that. Do I keep posting, even on the down days? Do I concentrate on making a life with the emphasis on my blog title “One Is Just A Number?” Do I switch focus and do posts about fixing up my 1930 bungalow? Do I make it a cooking for one blog?
I am going to use this 31 Day writing challenge to figure out my focus. To use the words to look at my life and the areas in my life I can change, prompted by the words suggested by Christine Hubbard. I don’t know what my focus will be exactly but I do know that as long as …

31 Days: Park for Five Minute Friday

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Park.

This is Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. when I was in Portland for my friends' wedding, I really wanted to see the Portland Headlight but the person I was traveling with had been to Portland several times and had no desire to see it again and everyone else I knew at the wedding had left town already. So I did something out of character and called a cab, told the driver to take me to the park, and I found it myself. And I called the same driver, had him pick me up, and bought myself a nice lunch to celebrate.

That simple act of calling a cab and getting to a destination on my own was so empowering. Most of the time I would have just let the fact that no one wanting to go with me keep me from doing something. I would have just taken a safe walk in a straight line hoping to …