Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Remember

Remember - it seems that's all I do. I remember what it was like to be married, to have someone hold me when I cried after a rough day. Remember what it was like to have a confidante who I was 100% sure would not betray my confidence. I remember what it was like when he told me that he was moving out, how I cried so hard that my legs wouldn't hold me and I slid down the wall.

I can't remember a time when my heart wasn't broken. I can't remember a time when there was hope in my future. I can't remember what it felt like to believe that I'm worth something.

I remember the things I did that may have made him leave. I remember the things I didn't do. I remember the things I wished I'd said and left unsaid.

I often think if I could just get him to remember what we had, remember the way I loved him, maybe then he'd see what he walked away from and come back.

I've tried to remember what it was like to have dreams, a plan for the future, but those thoughts seem so dim that I can't remember them. I've tried to remember what I wanted from my life so that I could strive to still achieve those things but then I remember that I was left and I can't believe in those things anymore.

I try to remember that I have a God that loves me, a family that loves me, and friends who care. But so many days, remembering those things isn't enough. They are crowded out by the memory of how things were and how I thought they'd always be.

Comments

  1. Don't try to remember but know God loves you ... your family loves you ... your friends care. Life isn't always kind, but remember those three precepts (God loves you ... your family loves you ... your friends care) and you'll get through it. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, i'm so sorry for your heartbreak. i can't imagine and you've captured it powerfully with your words. i've just prayed for you - that God helps you to remember than He is enthralled with you and your beauty and that you feel held held and loved by divine today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I pray that you'll receive a fresh and new encounter with the Lord. That you'll find fresh purpose from him and you'll see a new way in which you'll find your true worth. I also pray that your pain becomes less raw, as pain can be so consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you find comfort and peace during this season. I know as you write God will continue to give you a lifeline with words and minister grace and back to you. Thank you for keeping it real. I appreciate your honest, brave heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...