Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Beautiful

It's good to be back to Five Friday Minute Friday. I hit a bit of a rough patch and then I took a three-week vacation to Europe and I've missed taking part in this community of writers!

Beautiful is something I've thought a lot about lately. The Dove experiment with the beauty sketches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaOjMXyJGk)  was something I could completely relate to.  When I look in the mirror, I don't see beautiful - I see a nose that seems too big, teeth discolored by too much coffee, and bags under my eyes that tell of the struggle I have with sleep. Beautiful is the farthest thing from my mind when I see myself. I know that I'm supposed to see myself the way God sees me - fearfully and wonderfully made - but it's how the rest of the world sees me that I worry about. I know that I have a good, kind heart but I am so afraid that no one will give me the chance to prove what I am on the inside because of how I look on the outside. I've been alone for 6 years now and I've grown weary of being by myself. I so want someone to see me as beautiful - both inside and out. I want someone to light up when I walk into a room, to want my face to be the first thing they see in the morning. I want someone to see me the way God sees me - fearfully and wonderfully made. I want to see myself as beautiful - both inside and out.

Comments

  1. I also fight with my own ideal of beauty that never seems to include what I actually look like. But I'll tell you the same thing I've told other beautiful people before: Beauty radiates. One of my favorite sayings is "fake it til you make it." You tell yourself tomorrow, when you look in the mirror, "Hello beautiful." You are what you imagine yourself to be. I hope you see your own beauty very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Andrea
    This is a question I battled with for a long time, until I decided to ask our Lord how He sees me. Well, slowly but surely, He is doing just that. Even the ugly parts becomes an opportunity to ask Him to change that with the beauty of His love.
    Blessings
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...