Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Belong

I belong to a great group of friends. We call ourselves The Tribe. Our local newspaper did a story on several of us and how people build an urban tribe of sorts when they live away from their own family and the name stuck.

It is a wonderful bunch of people and through the years we have gone through everything together - weddings, deaths of parents, multiple job changes. Besides the family I was born into, they are the one constant in my life and whenever I spend time with them, it's always fun and it's just as comfortable as family.

Last night we gathered because one of The Tribe was back in town from her new home in Maine and she shared such exciting news  - she's engaged and getting married in June. We screamed and cried and hugged. And just like everything in life, there is a flip side - another friend shared that her husband has been having seizures that doctors can't determine the cause of and he's not able to drive for the next six months.

As I woke this morning and thought about last night, my heart felt so full. So full of excitement for my friend who's started a new life with the love of her life. So full of fear and concern for my friend and his wife as they live with this new development in his health. So full to know that even though they aren't blood, I have a group of people that I am bound to with the strong ties of navigating life together through the good times and the bad.

I am one lucky girl!

Comments

  1. Loved reading this. Such a timely reminder that we can create community no matter where we are by simply reaching out to others around us. We can build connections that last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...