Skip to main content

31 Days of Five-Minute Writes: Day 29 - Sea

Several years ago, my mother, sister, and I took a trip to Corpus Christi, Texas. There they have a seawall that lines the shore of the Gulf of Mexico, protecting the city from the waves. Along this wall are gazebos that cantilever over the water. I think my mother could have stayed there for hours, listen to the sea rush to the shore. It was such a peaceful place to be.

I have a white noise machine that I turn on at night. One of my favorite settings is Ocean. There is something so comforting about falling asleep to the sounds of waves. It is like I'm transported to another place other than my land-locked state right in the middle of the US. The sound of the sea takes away my cares and helps me doze off.

One of my favorite stories from the Bible is the tale of Jesus and the disciples in the middle of rough seas. I love that Jesus is peacefully sleeping while the disciples are scared to death. When I think about this story, I picture Jesus standing up upon being awakened and saying, "Chill. I've got this."

Oh to be able to sleep through the rough seas. To find comfort in them, as if it was simple as white noise.  To be able to recall those words of Jesus and know that I don't have to worry about the waves.   No wonder what is disturbing my seas, Jesus has got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...