Skip to main content

Saturday Shrimp

This dish has become a Saturday tradition for me and it makes me happy every time I eat it, (1) because it's tasty and (2) because I invented it. I've named it Saturday Shrimp and it's the simplest thing in the world to make. The ingredients are things that you can keep in your pantry and freezer so it's an easy go-to meal and it's a one-serving dish so you aren't eating it for the whole week. 

Start off by boiling some water for some pasta. I use 1 cup of bow tie pasta but any shape will work.

While the pasta is cooking, drizzle some olive oil in a skillet and turn the heat on. Add some red pepper flakes and garlic to the oil and cook until fragrant. The measurements of these ingredients can be to your liking - I usually do a handful of red pepper flakes and put four garlic cloves through my garlic press.

Once the garlic and pepper are fragrant, add some herbs to the mix. I use fresh rosemary and oregano because that's what I have growing in my yard.  At this point, you can add 1/4 cup of white wine and cook it down to about half. I've also cooked this without the wine and it's still tasty.

Then add the shrimp. I bought a 2 lb. bag o' frozen shrimp awhile back and I love the versatility. I'll take out a serving of the shrimp on a Friday, put them in a plastic container, and thaw them so they're ready for Saturday. At this point, I also add salt and pepper to the skillet.

By this time, your pasta will probably be cooked. Before you drain the pasta, use a ladle to put in a scoop or two of pasta water in your skillet. This starchy goodness makes a perfect sauce for the dish. Drain the pasta and then put it into the skillet. Keep on low heat for a bit to cook down the liquid. Once you are happy with the liquid amount, plate the dish and dig in.

I've played around with this a bit and added mushrooms when I've had them on hand. I've also added pine nuts and I've topped it with Parmesan cheese. The key to this is to get in the kitchen and try something new, something that you'll love, and something that will make your Saturday night in an event.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha