Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Celebrate


Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Celebrate.

Yesterday I posted the photo above for Throwback Thursday, one taken during my college days. I was so shocked when it got over 50 likes. The compliments I received on it made me blush. But there were some responses that made me bristle. I had several people say "I remember her." This happens fairly often, mostly from people I knew in my childhood and youth. I guess in a way, they don't know the me today. When I did the math, I realized that photo was taken 35 years ago. After experiencing a tightness in my chest after that revelation, I decided to celebrate instead of mourn.

Yes, that was 35 years ago. It was my freshman year in college, a time when I had my whole life ahead of me. The roads I thought were before me the day that photo was taken are different but that doesn't make them bad. I didn't get the degree right that first time in college but I went back to school and got a second degree that offered me the opportunity to do the job I have now, one that I do like and feel suited for. There are things that I don't have in my life that I thought for sure I would have that day I leaned up against that tree and smiled for the camera. But that doesn't make it bad. I am so lucky to still have both my parents, to have a loving, kind sister, friends that are my tribe, and a faith community that gives me hope.

Thirty-five years ago, I might have wondered how I could celebrate this life that I have, with all its seemingly missing pieces. But it is all in what you choose to celebrate. And today I am choosing to celebrate it all - the job that pays my bills and allows me to take a wonderful week-long cruise to another country; the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and chair my church's annual fall carnival; even the simple things like looking forward to book club on Tuesday where we will eat great food and enjoy the fellowship so much that we might forget to talk about the book. I have so much to celebrate, even if that girl in the photo is only a memory to some. That girl has been through so much and is still here to live another day. That's reason enough to celebrate right there.

Comments

  1. What a great way to look at life! I have always looked at life with the attitude the "Right now is the best part of my life". I have great memories, but I don't want to go back there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted this comment since it was a duplicate, lesson learned that it looks like I removed it for a bad reason. That certainly was not the reason.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug