Skip to main content

31 Days: Talk


It was a busy weekend for me and my sister. On Saturday night, we went to the Francesca Battistelli concert. We splurged for the VIP packet, which allowed us to attend a pre-concert talk with her.

It was so interesting to hear her talk about her process of writing music and choosing songs for an album. And it was interesting that she said she didn't feel like she was a singer until her second album. The woman with her in the photo, her friend and backup singer, was shocked that she hadn't realized how talented she was until her second album. Up until then, Francesca had thought of herself as a songwriter, not a singer. How amazing that she didn't fully appreciate her ability until that point.

She also told a story about a time in her life when she fully put her trust in God and canceled a surgery to correct her scoliosis because she felt that she was hearing from God that he was going to heal her.

Throughout the concert, she took some time to talk about her doubts in who she was and where she belonged. It was such a comfort to me to hear someone who is so talented, who has a music ministry that reaches millions, talk about her doubts about who she is and where she belongs. Even though I was in an room full of people, I felt less alone hearing her talk about the things that I struggle with.

As I left the arena, I purchased this shirt to remind me of all the positive things I heard that evening. I am free to be me, thanks to whose I am. That's something I am positive is true.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...