Skip to main content

31 Days of Traveling to Europe: Day 4 - What to Pack and What to Pack It In

When planning to travel for three weeks, one of the first things to panic about is - how do I pack enough clothes for that amount of time? My sister and I didn't really want to spend time in a laundromat so we packed enough clothes for a week and wore things three times. We may not have smelled the best by the time we landed back in our hometown but we didn't notice.

Even with just packing for one week, the size of the suitcase was a concern. We knew we wanted one with wheels that did 360s to ease our moving through airports, train stations, and city streets with them. We both bought a 28-inch expandable suitcase. Everything fit in it and we had room to back souvenirs in it as well. One drawback to a suitcase that big - I still get tired thinking about dragging it up the stairs of the Notting Hill Tube station and up the stairs to our hotel room in Notting Hill. Also, when we traveled by train, we had to stow our bags at the front of the car and rode in fear that someone would grab our bags as they got off the train and we'd never see our stuff again. A smaller bag would have stowed away in the overhead compartment. We used backpacks for our carry ons and packed light weight bags to carry things on our sightseeing excursions.

For weeks before I left for my trip, whenever I would think of something I needed to take, I would grab it and put it in a pile on my guest room bed. I also had a list of clothes and essentials to pack. Once I could get weather forecasts, I had a better idea of what kind of clothes to pack. London was cold and wet so we took jackets, hats, and umbrellas. (The weather was so wet for most of our trip that my sister's umbrella broke in Paris.) For London and Paris, we wore short sleeve shirts with long sleeves under them but luckily by the time we got to Italy we could ditch the long sleeves. We wore our comfortable walking shoes on the plane and packed flip flops for the hotel rooms and for the end of days when the thought of wearing the comfortable shoes for another minute was too much. The flip flops were also good in the rain and meant we didn't have to wear wet walking shoes the next day.

 If you plan on taking electronics with you, you'll want to pack adapters. If your electronics don't come equipped with internal converters, you'll want to pack one of those too. If you simply use an adapter, you could risk damage to your items. We needed three different kinds of adapters, or so we thought. Once we got to Italy, we realized we didn't have the right adapter for Rome so we had to ration our use of our Kindles so that we had enough battery power for the plane ride home. Note that many hotels restrict use of electronic devices in their rooms and sometimes there are no outlets to make sure you don't break the rules. Other hotels will loan you an adapter but I know someone that used a borrowed adapter and ruined her computer so beware!

So that we didn't miss capturing a single memory, we had extra camera memory cards and enough batteries to last us several trips. For down time, we packed books that we bought at a book fair for $1 and we'd leave them in our hotel rooms when we were done reading them, leaving more room in our suitcase for souvenirs.

Two very important things that we packed - foreign currency and a money belt to keep it in. We got pounds and euros from our local bank so that we could hit the ground running without having to search for an exchange booth. We took American dollars but guessed pretty well and only had to exchange them for euros the last few days we were in Rome. We kept our money and our passports in our money belts and wore them everyday, to the point that I was afraid it was going to become a part of me. But once again, peace of mind was worth it.

The system of wearing things 3+ times worked really well but I will say - just the past week, I wore the pajamas I took on the trip. It took me three months to want to even look at them again. The same goes for the shoes I wore. But it was the best feeling to put those shoes on and think about all the places they took me to and the things I saw while wearing them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha