Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Garden


Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has hundreds of writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://lisajobaker.com/. This week's word is Garden.
 
I hate Valentine's Day. I wasn't particularly fond of it when I was married. How does your significant other live up to the hype if he doesn't walk through the door with dozens of flowers, a huge box of chocolates, and something from Kay's Jewelers? But when you are single, the day can be filled with doubts about yourself and dread that you will never be loved again.

Today instead of posting on Facebook my hatred of the holiday, I decided to plant a seed of encouragement. Instead of a diatribe about this over-sensationalized day, I decided to do my best to help someone and I wrote this as my Facebook status:

If Valentine's Day is bringing sadness instead of heart-shaped tokens, remember this: You matter and you are loved. 365 days a year. Don't let a date on a calendar tell you otherwise.

It has received several likes and several comments but what I'm hoping is that it is received by someone who needs to hear it, who may have been embarrassed to like it or comment on it but was pulled out of the darkness of this day that's all about romantic love and lifted up towards the light of a love that is so much bigger.  I hope that my status is a seed that starts a garden of self-love in someone who was feeling every emotion but self-love on this day and that seed propagates into a feeling for the other 364 days of the year.

Comments

  1. Andrea, I absolutely LOVE your post! I have been thinking more than ever this year about how this "day" is so fickle. For everyone! I have kicked myself in the rear more often than not by my expectations. I love that you decided to sow seeds of encouragement instead of going on the negative rant. You encouraged me! Visiting from right behind you at FMF! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you too! Thank you Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...