Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Present






Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Present.

This photo of me was taken on a gondola in Venice. My sister and I didn't even know that the tour group had arranged for gondola rides and we almost didn't go. We thought about the money, the fact that as you can see by all of the straps hanging off of me, we had almost everything valuable with us and what would happens were filling our brains but we decided to go for it. And I am so glad that we did, that we lived in the present and had this once in a lifetime moment.

Coincidently, just weeks from getting back from that trip, the Five Minute Friday word was also present. I'd like to say that I've resolved everything I wrote about in that post, but unfortunately, I still struggle with the present. I can go through my day just fine, living in the moment and enjoying the present. But the minute my head hits the pillow, the tapes reliving the past start playing. The what ifs and the what's wrong with me drown out the memories of a perfectly good day and how this life, this present, is just fine even if it isn't how I thought it would be.

What I'm trying to do more often, and I think I may be succeeding at this, is to remember when those tapes hit play, that God is present. He has me in the palm of his hand and can turn the past into a wonderful present. I just have to be present in this moment and feel his presence in my life.

Comments

  1. I actually read the other post first, (you'll see my confused comment over there). But it's good to see the contrast between your perspective on the prompt "then" and "now". I can totally relate to the "tapes playing", and also have recurring tapes that "play" in my head. What I've learned in the past two years is that when hitting the "stop" button doesn't work, I can hit the "rewind" and "replay" button and then "pause", and talk it through like a sport's announcer. Once I started doing this I realized that all of the hard stuff that I've been through... scars... pains...regrets... NONE of those things had the power to take me out! I'm still here!! And the worries... concerns...threats of my past did not win. I did! I am learning to use those tapes to my advantage because there is always a new threat that seems bigger than the one. All we can do is live in the present. So, thank you for being present and be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from FMF. Your trip to Venice sounds amazing- that is one place I'd love to go.
    I also struggle to stay focussed on the present sometimes- I think a lot of people do- but I love your comment that even when we are replaying the past in our minds God is still present with us and he can use those things. So important to stay present to him and know that he is present with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...