Skip to main content

31 Days of Traveling to Europe: Day 8 - On Our Way

Departure day was finally here! The day started with a mix of worry and excitement and once we got to Houston for our connecting flight, we found out that the worry was for good reason. After boarding the plane, a new type of aircraft called the Dreamliner, and reviewing everything available on the small screens in front of our seats, we started to back away from the gate only to hear from the pilot that there was a warning light that would not go out. After awhile longer, the pilot made another announcement, telling us that repairs were taking longer than he liked and that they would be allowing us to de-board the plane.

Worry turned to panic as all the scenarios of what the delay would mean for our trip played through our minds. Would we make it to London in time for our day tour the next day? Would our luggage make it? Luckily by the time we got to the end of the jet bridge, we were informed that another plane, just like the one we had been on, was available for us. No need for re-ticketing, no need for new seats. Three hours after we were supposed to leave, we were on our way.

This was the longest flight I'd ever taken. As corny as it sounds, it was exhilarating to be on such a luxurious plane with my own personal movie screen and an assortment of movies. This made it real - I was going to Europe! I was so excited about all the things I was going to see that I barely slept. I couldn't wait for my first glimpse of London. It was all a dream come true!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...