Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Here

Here - not in the past, not in the future - here.

Here - not with people who have left, not with people I want in your life - here with the people that are present in my life now.

I've thought a lot about these ideas recently. I dwell so much on the past and how I thought things would have been or dwell on how I'd like things to be in the future that I don't enjoy here, where I'm at now. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'm going to look around one day and realize that there was this great life going on around me and I was so busy looking back or forward that I didn't look side to side to what I had right then.

I'm also bad about this when it comes to people. I miss people for a really long time, holding on to what could/should have been. I also long for people that I think I want in my life, people I think will make me matter. When I stop that kind of thinking, I realize that I currently have some pretty great people in my life, people that are probably much better for me and more of what I need than what I think I want.

Here is where I should be. Here in this moment, enjoying the things I'm experiencing right now.

Comments

  1. Oh such a word! To savor the now and not long for what is to come...I'm joining you in that and in cherishing those in my life even now. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To not look around, but instead to enjoy the present. This has been on my mind a lot lately as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oohhhh I tend to do that too with people....note to self.....don't!! Great post! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...