Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday: Worship





I have thought about finding a place to worship for so long. Like years. When I got divorced 5 years ago, my search turned into a need for a place to heal. I visited my friends' large, charismatic church. They loved it there and encouraged me to join them. It was held in a converted factory, not your average setting for worship, but I gave it a shot. It never felt right. The word there was uplifting and the work they did in the community was tremendous but I never felt like I fit in. I felt like I wasn't the right kind of person to be a member there, I couldn't check the right boxes on their visitor's form. I wasn't married with kids.

One Sunday I decided to be brave and make a solo visit to a church near my home. Even though I was raised Baptist and the last church I attended regularly was Lutheran, I wanted to see what this Methodist church was all about. I loved that it was part of my neighborhood and that like the church I grew up in, it was within walking distance of my house. The minute I crossed the threshold, I knew it was right. As scary as it was to step in there by myself, sitting there in that pew without anyone by my side I didn't feel alone. I felt God's presence in that place like I had never felt it before in a house of worship. I felt like God was giving me a big hug and saying welcome. Worship here with me.

I love my church. I look forward to Sunday mornings, to be in the beautiful sanctuary with the awe-inspiring stained glass windows and the rock walls that were hand placed there by members of the congregation some 70 years ago. I have also sat in that sanctuary on a Tuesday or Thursday during my lunch hour, the space lit only by the sun coming through those windows, searching for that hug from God to tell me that things will be all right. It is in this place of worship that I found hope. Hope that has alluded me for years. No one has ever asked whether I'm single or married, if I have kids or not, they have just welcomed me into their community. No boxes to check, no category to fit in, they have simple passed the peace of God to me at a time when I needed to feel that peace more than anything. It is here that I am learning to worship life again and to trust that in worshiping God, I will find the healing I've been searching for.

Comments

  1. It's amazing how the right church is so apparent when you walk in. I've felt that and it is so wonderful....it's like coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Andrea
    I love the way you followed our Lord Jesus' leading to the place He knew you would find Him! I also could not fit into the charismatic denomination.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Should

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Should.

I am constantly looking for signs, my own personal burning bush to show me what I should be doing and this week's prompt is my signal that I need to get back to writing my blog. That I should be writing.

I've thought a lot about this word since seeing this video of Oprah and Tony Robbins.  In it he says we should all over ourselves and that if we want to see change in our lives we should change should to must. That is when we actually do the things, when we change that one word.

I should have done laundry today.

I should have pulled weeds.

I should have posted this on Friday instead of Saturday.

I should pray more.

I should trust God.

What would happen if I changed those shoulds into action. Maybe not as strong as must, because laundry and weeds aren't life changing. But if instea…

Write 31 Days

I have struggled with a theme for this year's 31 days. I waited for the Write 31 Days prompts, hoping I would be inspired. But when I got to some tricking questions, I abandoned that idea. Then my thought was Follow My Dreams with the things I should be doing to achieve that goal. But then I got my daily text from Shine.com that read "How often do we think 'When I get to X, then I'll feel good...pushing happy to the future'". Am I waiting until I feel like I have achieved enough steps in my journey to be happy?  I beat myself up so much for not doing what I think I should be doing, I couldn't spend 31 days doing that to myself. Then the Five Minute Writes prompts came and I thought, "Maybe I can build action points around those points to spend my October accomplishing things." But isn't that still telling myself that I'm not good enough?

So for this Write 31 Days, I'm going to do just that. Write. I'm not going to try to fit acc…

31 Days: Invite for Five Minute Friday

Is there anything better than receiving an invitation to do something fun? This is a photo from a concert that my friend invited me to attend with her. It is the band Dawes. The evening was so much fun. We grabbed dinner at a restaurant my friend had never been to and then we stood in line for the general admission show. Since we were the third and fourth people in line, we were able to get right up next to the stage. It was one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had.

It was so nice that my friend, someone I met at church, remembered that I liked this band and invited me to join her at their concert. It is hard to make new friends after a certain age and this invitation from her made me so thankful that I had someone to go out and have fun with.

I think invitations are one of the best things that being the part of a church bring to my life. On my first Sunday there, someone invited me to attend a Sunday School class. The next invitation I received was for the women's book…