Skip to main content

31 Days: Confront



I am working on a special project at work and the person I am working with is, how should I say this, a challenge. Today, I was confronted with the fact that this person and his disorganization and lack of communication skills is going to cost my company a large amount of money. I was also confronted with the fact that there is a good chance that this loss could have been prevented if someone had fought harder to move this project to another format that would have been profitable, even if that meant more work for them.

I felt like I should do something to confront this situation and fight for what I thought was right. I spent about an hour composing an email arguing my position. But when I was done and I was about to hit send, I was confronted with the feeling that I was doing this for all the wrong reasons. I wasn't confronting the disorganized person involved in the project, I was confronting the person who didn't fight for a change in the project. And I was confronted with the feeling that I was writing this email for all of the wrong reasons.

I hope that at some point, I became a better person and I realize the motivation behind the confrontation I am about to get involved in before I spend an hour on an email. Better yet, I hope that one day my brain doesn't even think in terms of who's right and who's wrong and accepts people for who they are, not who I think they should.

Confrontatation with one's self can be the hardest but the most rewarding.

Comments

  1. Just popping in from the write 31 days challenge. I am #19 on the #write31days list. :)

    Oh but indeed eh? I'm glad you took that moment, to think it all through...personal reflection is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Should

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/. This week's word is Should.

I am constantly looking for signs, my own personal burning bush to show me what I should be doing and this week's prompt is my signal that I need to get back to writing my blog. That I should be writing.

I've thought a lot about this word since seeing this video of Oprah and Tony Robbins.  In it he says we should all over ourselves and that if we want to see change in our lives we should change should to must. That is when we actually do the things, when we change that one word.

I should have done laundry today.

I should have pulled weeds.

I should have posted this on Friday instead of Saturday.

I should pray more.

I should trust God.

What would happen if I changed those shoulds into action. Maybe not as strong as must, because laundry and weeds aren't life changing. But if instea…

Write 31 Days

I have struggled with a theme for this year's 31 days. I waited for the Write 31 Days prompts, hoping I would be inspired. But when I got to some tricking questions, I abandoned that idea. Then my thought was Follow My Dreams with the things I should be doing to achieve that goal. But then I got my daily text from Shine.com that read "How often do we think 'When I get to X, then I'll feel good...pushing happy to the future'". Am I waiting until I feel like I have achieved enough steps in my journey to be happy?  I beat myself up so much for not doing what I think I should be doing, I couldn't spend 31 days doing that to myself. Then the Five Minute Writes prompts came and I thought, "Maybe I can build action points around those points to spend my October accomplishing things." But isn't that still telling myself that I'm not good enough?

So for this Write 31 Days, I'm going to do just that. Write. I'm not going to try to fit acc…

31 Days: Invite for Five Minute Friday

Is there anything better than receiving an invitation to do something fun? This is a photo from a concert that my friend invited me to attend with her. It is the band Dawes. The evening was so much fun. We grabbed dinner at a restaurant my friend had never been to and then we stood in line for the general admission show. Since we were the third and fourth people in line, we were able to get right up next to the stage. It was one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had.

It was so nice that my friend, someone I met at church, remembered that I liked this band and invited me to join her at their concert. It is hard to make new friends after a certain age and this invitation from her made me so thankful that I had someone to go out and have fun with.

I think invitations are one of the best things that being the part of a church bring to my life. On my first Sunday there, someone invited me to attend a Sunday School class. The next invitation I received was for the women's book…