Skip to main content

31 Days: Do Find People Living Your Dream


I recently saw a story on Shakespeare and Company, the small bookstore in Paris that has been inspiring writers for decades. People earn money by helping customers in the store downstairs while living upstairs and working on their literary masterpiece. My sister and I have been fantasizing about moving to Paris and living there ever since we saw the story. Until then, I will hone my craft on One Is Just A Number.

There are so many blogs that I follow that I often wonder how I'll ever catch up on all of the reading. I follow so many because I see them as people living my dream -  inspiring people with their words. Here are some of my favorite blogs, the ones that are the closest to my heart.

Alece Ronzino at Grit and Glory was the first blog I found that was written by a Christian going through a divorce.She made me feel like I wasn't alone and her words have been a salve on my wounds.

If I could write like anyone, it would be Holley Gerth. There are so many times that I have read one of her blog posts and felt like it was written just for me. Her words have brought me so much comfort and that's what I would love to do for others.

Jon Acuff is another person I aspire to be like. His Serious Wednesday posts on his website Stuff Christians Like would leave me breathless. They were funny and relatable and then BAM! they would show God's love to me in an amazing way. His self-named blog continues to be an inspiration in helping me believe that I too can survive a soul-sucking job and find a way to make a living being a writer.

Lisa-Jo Baker, then Kate Motaung, have helped me stretch my wings as a writer. Five Minute Friday has given the courage to pursue my dream and a platform to do it on.

Brave Girls Club finds a way to fit a sentiment that makes it all better on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. When I see the art that they have created, I want to get out my box of 64 crayons and some construction paper and make something beautiful, even it's just for me.


There are many websites that I subscribe to for ideas on how to decorate my 1930 cottage. Layla and Kevin at The Lettered Cottage mix a strong faith with great design ideas. I would love to spend an afternoon with them.

Do find people who are living your dream. Knowing that you aren't alone in your goals and finding people who have achieved them will help you realize that life that is waiting for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha