Skip to main content

31 Days: Do What You've Been Putting Off



The photo above is of my new roof. It has sat atop my house since January. It should have been there a lot longer but I keep putting it off and putting it off. I knew that it was going to be a big project because I had two layers of shingles on my house and state law did not allow a third to be added so the old layers had to be removed. And because my house was built in 1930, it did not have traditional decking, it had wood shingles nailed directly onto the joist of the roof. Those would have to come off as well. A roofer had told me once that it would cost $10,000 to do the whole project. I could think of so many other things I would like to spend that much money on. So, I decided to pray for rain. And wind. And hail. My hope was to be able to make an insurance claim and have at least some of the cost covered.

Finally a hail storm hit. I may have shrieked with joy when I went outside and found shingles on my porch. I called my insurance agent and received a check but I still waited 6 months, right up until my deadline to complete the work, to take action. I dreaded the time it would take to get estimates, I dreaded paying the $2000 deductible, and I dreaded the chance that it would rain into my house while it sat without a roof.

When push came to shove, I was forced to get those estimates. It was only a couple of hours spent away from work and I ended up going with the company that was recommended by a co-worker and the owner was a dream to work with. Yes, that $2000 disappearing from my savings was a bit painful but I had borrowed extra when I refinanced my house so thankfully, I did not have to live on ramen noodles to cover the expense. And, due to the efficiency of the crew working on my house, my attic was not exposed to the elements for any amount of time or inclement weather. My vintage stuffed Alf doll was none the worse for wear.

What is worse for wear is a wall in my house. Rain was leaking in behind the fireplace. It wasn't a waterfall but a quiet trickle that I could only hear in the silence of fast forwarding my DVR. A quiet trickle of water that has stained the plaster on my living room wall and left me wondering what evils lurk behind that wall. If I had only taken action sooner, at the first sign of trouble, I might have avoided the expense of repairing the wall.

Was it noisy in my house for several days? Yes. Do I still have debris of old shingles in my attic? Yes. But today, when it absolutely poured and the wind knocked down power lines, I knew that everything was dry at my house and that peace of mind left me scratching my head as to why I put off that new roof for so long.

Do what you've been putting off. My guess is, it won't be as bad as you think it's going to be. Just like in the case of me getting a new roof, it might be a pain in the neck for a short amount of time but the benefits outweigh that discomfort. You will feel so much better when that worry is off your shoulders.

Do What You've Been Putting Off!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha