Skip to main content

31 Days of Five-Minute Writes: Day 23 - Joy for Five Minute Friday

This is joy to me. I'm standing on the top of the Arc de Triomphe with the Eiffel Tower in the background. I know I keep writing about Paris on this blog but it is my second favorite place on the planet, after my hometown. Both my sister and I feel a pull to this city. Neither one of us speaks much French but the City of Lights feels like home to us. We can't wait to go back and wander its streets, eat macarons, and take in the beauty that is Paris.

I search for joy at home. I like my little bungalow but there it is hard to look past the incomplete projects and those that need to be started. I doubt I'd have grass to worry about in Paris, which would suit me just fine. I feel safe in my home, which is very important. For now I am not worrying about paying my mortgage, which is definitely important when you have a job that is impacted by the oil industry. It just doesn't bring me joy, not like a hotel room in the Latin Quarter that is convenientely located across the street from a crepe stand.

I wrote yesterday of finding value in life and people, not things. There is where joy should be also. If you look for joy in things or plans, you will probably be disappointed. But joy in moments spent with friends, joy in a beautifully crafted sermon delivered by a pastor dressed like Marty McFly in honor of Back to the Future day, that's where you can count on joy to come through for you.

But, it doesn't hurt to find it on top of the Arc de Triomphe either.

Comments

  1. I find so many experiences of joy in Paris - not just because there are often creperie within walking distance. But because it is so human and invites me to be human too. In Paris, I simply relax and enjoy with everyone else. I'm glad you find joy there.

    Visiting from Five Minute Friday,

    Drusilla Barron
    http://lovedasif.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear from someone else who finds Paris relaxing - thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through...

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Right now at this point in my life, it feels like the bravest thing I should be doing is trusting God's plan for me. It is so scary to hand everything over to Him and trust that it will all be alright. Or maybe what I should test my bravery on is trusting His timing.  I do trust that He has a good plan for me, I just wish He'd hurry up and reveal it to me. It's been six long years of waiting to see what good will come from my divorce. Six years of feeling broken, worthless, and unlovable. I believe with my whole heart that He will make good from what was meant to harm me, He will give me double for my trouble, but I want my beauty for ashes RIGHT NOW! I also need to find the bravery to believe the good things people tell me about me. This has been a really hard week for me and through their words and their shows of concerns, I know that people care about me but I can't find the courage to turn that into self-love. When I look in the mirror, I still see ug...

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha...