Skip to main content

31 Days: Create



When I read today's Five Minute Free Write prompt Create, I had one thought: Does Pinterest stress anyone else out or is it just me? I log in and there are so many choices: how to create better meals, how to create an organized home, how to create the look everyone is after. I even get stressed when the Pinterest emails hit my inbox. Oh no, what should I being creating now? I created the illusion that I made it to work on time today, isn't that enough?

I do strive to create better meals. Here are my cookbooks to prove that. 



I have plastic tubs in my attic to help me get organized. I was too scared to go up there to take a photo of those. And I live in the hometown of Rustic Cuff so I'm working on my collection to help me create that look. 

Don't get me started on the opportunities to create that I have brought into my house. There are the boxes of puzzles just waiting to be put together. I have enough cross stitch patterns to keep me busy for 15 years, if I did one pattern every 3 months. And there are the coloring books that are supposed to help me de-stress that taunt me with their uncolored pages.

Luckily I have proof of finished puzzles because they aren't worked if you haven't put a photo of them on Facebook, right? 



I do have finished cross stitch projects. Some are framed like this one



but some aren't but they are accomplishments just the same. And the coloring books, well, they are within arms reach of me now as I type.

I often think, did my mom feel this pressure? Then I remember the books from Wilton she had that featured cake design techniques and the elaborate wedding cakes I dreamed of having one day. I think this is the book she had but unfortunately, I couldn't find a photo of my favorite cake, the one with the bridesmaids going down one side and the groomsmen on the other. Oh, and the ones with fountains in the middle were awesome!



She still creates a two-tiered white cake with white frosting for me every year. The big reveal is in what color she will write "Happy Birthday Andrea." 



Every year she creates a new ornament for me and my sister, photos of which I will feature in December on this blog. Crystal's prompt for today was "Your favorite family tradition" and those cakes and those ornaments are my favorite family traditions.

I've never seen her stress over these creations, they are symbols of her love, not pins on a Pinterest board. I'm sure the people that create those pages of creations on Pinterest have similar motivations. Years from now, their children will be recalling their favorite family traditions involving those pins. Those memories are some of the best creations there are. Even if they aren't delivered to inbox everywhere or posted on Facebook, they are creations just the same.

So instead of feeling bad about cooking the same thing over and over again, I will remember the feeling of accomplishment when I create a fire in the grill and how wonderful every steak I cook tastes. Instead of beating myself up about the unfinished projects, I will remember the thank you note from my friend about the cross stitch I made to celebrate her wedding that she placed on her mantel that helped her create a memory of her special day. And maybe in July, I will try to create a two-tiered white cake with "Happy Birthday Momma" written on it. Even if it isn't pretty enough to take a photo of, it will create a memory. But if it is pretty, you better believe it's going on Facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha