Skip to main content

31 Days: Change


Last year my theme for 31 Days was ways I could change based on the prompts given by Christina Hubbard. I thought I would review my progress of the past year.

Day 1: Walk. Walking is motion and I think I have done a good job of moving forward. I feel better about my life than I have in a long time.
Day 2: Paint. I haven't painted anything in the past year but I have worked on some decluttering projects.
Day 3: Wardrobe. I'm not back into my skinny wardrobe yet but I've been trying to appreciate my body as it is and I'm learning to accessorize with new jewelry while I work on the weight loss.
Day 4: Brew: I have been switching to tea after my morning coffee has kicked in and I have succeeded in starting and ending my day with prayer.
Day 5: Silence. I'm still not good with silence but I'm not as anxious about hearing God as I used to be.
Day 6: You. I hope that I am better at listening to what other people need. I know that I feel better when I do.
Day 7: Test. I've read one of the books in the picture. That's progress right?
Day 8: Muddle. I have cut down the volunteer trees but unfortunately just like my muddled brain and its critical thoughts, some of the bad growth has come back.
Day 9: Post-It, It's still on my mirror but I believe more and more every day in what it says.
Day 10: Unknown. I'll admit, this one still is a struggle. I want to photo of my future to be in focus.
Day 11: Thanks.  I still am thanking God for the small things and the big things.
Day 12: Sky. I saw the Aurora Borealis in the sky about Canada this year!
Day 13. Aware. I am getting better about being in the moment, of being aware of my surroundings and the impact I have on people.
Day 14: Mail. I have been better at calling people and making plans for lunch.
Day 15: Move. I am still collecting boxes and planning on packing up my house like I'm moving. I know, I'm crazy but since I was a kid, this has been an easy and effective way to create a different space for myself.
Day 16: Little. Just tonight I enjoyed a simple dinner with my sister that would seem like a little thing to others but it meant the world to me.
Day 17: Study. I'm still studying cookbooks but I have had some success at using leftovers to make several different meals that I will share.
Day 18: Neighbor. No applause from my neighbors yet. Awnings still torn, shutters are still different colors. But the grass is cut so I've got that going for me.
Day 19: Notice. I think I am better at noticing the beauty around me and what God is doing for me.
Day 20: Weekend. I have been working smarter at work and I've gotten several issues done ahead of schedule and been able to enjoy my weekends more. I've also been getting the work done for my second job during the week so I have more free time on my Saturday and Sunday.
Day 21: Park. I had some feelings of bravery during my trip to Yellowknife that I did during my trip to the park in Maine. I want to take more walks in parks.
Day 22: Off. Saturdays are still my favorite days, especially those I have completely off from obligations.
Day 23: Blowout. Ironically, I have found myself in the same situation this year with the annual carnival. I'd like to think I handle it better this year than last.
Day 24: Global. This year has offered many opportunities to think globally with hurricanes, the treatment of immigrants, and the threat of nuclear attacks. It's a scary time but we all must be aware of what's happening around us.
Day 25: Sign. Luckily God is still sending me signs, like the one I received while writing my stewardship testimony.
Day 26: Confront. Confrontation isn't the easiest thing for me but I'm calmer and more confident when I do have to confront someone.
Day 27: Bouquet. I buy myself fresh flowers every 6 weeks when I get my haircut down the street from Trader Joe's.
Day 28: Eat. I am still grilling steaks and eating Saturday Shrimp.
Day 29: Date. I have continued to go to the ballet and to Broadway shows. I love my date nights with my mom and sister.
Day 30: Cut. Unfortunately due to lack of funds, there will be no bounce house at this year's fall carnival but even with the difficulties facing me in planning the carnival, I have my mind on the fun the kids will hopefully have.
Day 31: Only. Even though it may look like I didn't make as much progress in the past year as I could have, I know that I am better than I was on October 1, 2016. And most importantly, I'm getting better at looking to God for direction in the changes I need to make and that is the only progress I need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha