Skip to main content

31 Days: Remain




Today I gave this stewardship testimony at my church. We are going through a difficult time financially so it is crucial that the congregation remain steadfast in their commitment to the church, both financially and with our time. I cannot begin to repay what this church has given to me. I will remain here forever.

For some background, my pastor used lyrics from Tom Petty "Stand My Ground" in his letter to the members about the stewardship campaign. He also placed those lyrics on the church's marque, just like he put Prince lyrics on the sign after his passing.


As I was working on this talk Friday, a Tom Petty song randomly played on my iTunes. That is out of 6583 songs, only 24 of which are Tom Petty songs.  If that isn’t a sign from God, I don’t know what is. It’s as close to a burning bush as I’m probably ever going to get.

I love that our church puts Tom Petty and Prince lyrics on our marquee. When I passed out Frisbees to TU students in August, it was what they remembered about our church. That and the music flowing into the courtyard from an open window in the Great Hall. How better to show that we are an accepting community of faith by appealing to all ages and showing that we can find inspiration and comfort in all things around us, even song lyrics.

But I also love the traditional things about UUMC. The stained glass you don’t find in “big box churches.” The liturgy that brings me comfort as I speak it. And when we sing a hymn that I remember from my days growing up in a Baptist church, I hope my boisterous singing doesn't hurt the ears of those around me.

Writing my check every week is like belting out my love for this church and for the things that God has done in my life. Sometimes writing that check is scary, like when my car has been in the shop for almost a week or the HVAC guy offers the details of his company’s financing because my 16-year-old heating and air system could deliver its last blast of cold or hot air any day now. But just as God is always faithful in times of unplanned expenses in ways like sending me an unexpected bonus or an increase in hours at my second job, I am faithful in writing my check every week. 

As proof that we can find inspiration and comfort in song lyrics, this is the chorus of the Tom Petty song “Square One” that played as I wrote this:
Square one, my slate is clear.
Rest your head on me my dear.
It took a world of trouble, took a world of tears.
It took a long time to get back here.

University Methodist is where I rest my head. Every moment spent with this congregation restores me. The fellowship here empowers me and makes me want me to live a life of service and commitment, like planning a fall carnival for the kids in our neighborhood. I was experiencing a world of tears when I walked through the narthex for the first time.  It took me a long time to get back here, to going to church after many years of not going. I believe with all my heart that God put me here with all of you wonderful people. My stewardship to this church is how I return the favor to Him and to all of you. I hope that when you think about what this church means to you and what it means to this community, you will do the same and give of your money and your time to make sure we can continue our fellowship and our commitment to service. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Roots

Lisa-Jo Baker (lisajobaker.com) hosts a weekly event on her blog called "Five Minute Friday". The rules are 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. So here's my first try at this. Today's topic was Roots. Roots – I think about my grandparents who lived on a farm until my grandfather’s diabetes worsened and they moved to a town with a hospital nearby. My father still says he wished he could have kept that farm. I think of my grandmother who was a widow for 20 years. Every year she would stand over my PaPa’s grave, wishing she was with him. I think of my parents, a product of those grandparents, how hard my father worked to put 2 girls through

Five Minute Friday: Time

Five Minute Friday is a writing event that has writers spending five minutes writing on the same topic and then sharing them at http://katemotaung.com/five-minute-friday/ . This week's word is Time. Sometimes time feels like this, like we are in it. Standing inside it, watching life pass by. It is so easy to get stuck in a time - in our pain, in our hurt. We hear the ache tick away in our head like a giant clock. Time, instead, is a gift. More time with family, more time to accomplish goals, more time to see the world. When you are hurting, it seems like time takes forever. One day turns into another day, turns into another day. When we hate a job, the five days of time that make up a work week seem to go on forever. But those five days are also a gift. Because these days, a job is not a guarantee. I want to see time as gift, not as a chore. I want to be on the other side of it, wishing there was more of it. Making the most of every hour, minute, and second instead of

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Mercy, this is a tough one for me. I think that's why I waited until Saturday to do Five Minute Friday. I didn't want to face the topic of mercy. I am thankful everyday for God's tender mercies. The first definition of mercy that came up when I googled the word was compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.  This definitiion is my life in a nutshell. How many times has God extended this to me when I deserved to be turned into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. How many times have I ignored his laws and his proddings and done exactly what I wanted to do. Every time he forgives me and prospers me. Every. time. I know there are people I should show mercy to. People who have broken my heart into more pieces than I can count. I think that I am showing mercy by keeping my disappointment in silence. In a day and age with social media, I could have told everyone that follows them how they have hurt me but I ha